March 15, 2009

Forbidden love and my love

I was a bookworm.

I used to devour books like a shark on a feeding-frenzy. I'd come home from school, take the book I had stopped 'cause Mom asked me to get ready in the morning, and start. From 4 to 6:30, when she'd get back from work, I'd be lost. Take shoes off before jumping on the couch? Remember to ask M where he was going? Close the door? I had a tough time remembering to do them before I went with Nancy to solve the next mystery or empathised with Tracy while she plotted her next move or got wild at Nanethal when he broke Samantha's heart. I had to get off this addiction for 3 years though. For my board exams. It was do that or else...

It was when I went to T that books became my solace again. Stuck in a place where I was an anomaly, where hardly anyone communicated in the language I knew, was a bit of a culture shock. (A huge learning experience too, but well sometimes tough lessons last longer) Anyway, my years in T passed smoother thanks to the library there. Bless you! The journey continued.

However, this love affair was headed for something I'd not expected. The move to B. Work. And the non-availability of a library within easily commutable distance. Which here must be less than 2 kms on weekdays, since my 4km journey from work takes half an hour to 45 mins depending on the traffic. (Some things you live with in this cosmo world!) Now reading books depended on the e-books which so totally took away the feel of a book, or buying the ones, which meant I'd so often pick up an author I know or based on the excerpt I read. Where's the joy then of discovering so many others?

Then came the second hand bookstore 5 mins down the road! Nice! I am building my collection solely from that store. Blossom on Church St. is closing down and this is nearer anyway. But the craze had gone. It was spurts of enthusiasm which lasted till the final page of the book. Something like what happened with my TV addiction. Now I can’t watch it for more than an hour!

So it was with no special expectation that I picked out Twilight. Actually, it was with slight trepidation that this book would bomb. 'Cause I hate horror! Ugh! And here I was picking a book about a girl falling in love with a vampire! Woohoo... The only reason I did end up getting it was because of the lines on the back cover and the fact that the name Stephenie Meyer sounded vaguely familiar. And boy, was I blown away! I read half the book till my eyes wouldn’t stay open any longer. I read it on the way to work. I read it while my computer booted up. I read it during my coffee breaks. Hell, I went to the rest room and took long breaks because I was hooked! It was on that day that I came back and logged on to Shelfari and actually took the 50 books a year challenge seriously!

I downloaded the movie immediately, and watched it the next day. Frankly, it was sort of an anti-climax because all the subtle nuances that are in a book cant always be shown in movie. I felt the same way about Harry Potter. Well, happens. So why am I writing about this book today? Two reasons. This was one book that made me beg for more and made to look out for it at the shops. I bought New Moon today *cheer* And the second is this: I was just about to start reading new Moon after dinner since I did not want to spill anything on it, when I stumbled on this: a blog about twilight! It was like a sign. And this is the result.

Thank you Stephenie!

So off I go to find out more about Isabella and Edward… And if you want to try out a new book, this is one you must read!

5 comments:

Abhi said...

Coincidence or what? Reading books takes us to an imaginary world, where we create our own things. Everything goes kaput once we see a movie based on that book. I feel exactly the same thing. I had read Harry potter and went to see the movie, alas! so disappointing to see our world come crashing down.Same thing happened with The DaVinci Code. The movie turned out to be such a bore. I guess books have that Xtra charm :)

Addicted to the Disturbed State said...

They definitely do. You can imagine the work anyway you want to. But when they put it in a movie, you just see what someone else thought about it. And most often the best things about a book is hearing the thoughts of the characters.. and that doesn't come out so well in a movie.. Books will always rule! :)

Addicted to the Disturbed State said...

Just remembered something while adding a book on Shelfari... There was one book for which I thought that the movie was better than the book: The Devil wears Prada.. I saw the movie first and it was so upbeat and all. Plus I just love Anne and Meryl Streep in the movie. So it was weird when I read the book coz it wasnt uplifting like I'd expected. Oh well..happens

San .D said...

Same thing happened to me with Davinci code!
I started reading it and couldn't put it down!Skipped college,lunch and sleep (for most of the night!),and when i finished the book,i got a sense of elation;like i achieved something!!!

Yeah,I know its crazy....

P.S:I found ur blog while browsing through PG.Read all ur posts. I know u have trouble accepting compliments but try this one...

Rock on!!!

Addicted to the Disturbed State said...

Thanks :)

yep i totally get what you're saying! like yday i started reading Tatty and Flashpoint and i just couldn't sleep till they were done... and the feeling you get! it's the absolute best!