October 17, 2008

Inspiration from the unexpected

You stumble and you fall. And realise you found a gem.

And that is how I heard Paul Potts. He was a contestant of the Britain's got talent show. The song playing as soon as you open the link of his site is Nessun Dorma, which was what he sang when he first participated. I do not usually enjoy opera music, but this blew me away! And when I read about him, it was like the feel-good factor just grew. Reminds one that you sometimes find the best of things at the most unexpected places. Real astonishing talent!



I loved everything that I saw here. His voice, the way he sang - it just moves you, the way he sang even though he was so nervous - you could just feel it from him; I thought he was going to cry, the transformation you see on the judges faces - 'so what are you going to do?' 'I'm going to sing opera' and then Paul starts to sing... Ah!

Paul Potts went on to win the show.

I didn't have a clue what he was singing, but then you don't always need to, to appreciate music. And doesn't music seem closer to your heart when you understand what is said? :) So for people like me who are opera virgins, here's the translation of Nessun Dorma /None shall sleep.

Italian Text

Nessun dorma! Nessun dorma!
Tu pure, o, Principessa,
nella tua fredda stanza,
guardi le stelle
che tremano d'amore
e di speranza.
Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,
il nome mio nessun saprà!
No, no, sulla tua bocca lo dirò
quando la luce splenderà!
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio
che ti fa mia!
(Il nome suo nessun saprà!...
e noi dovrem, ahime, morir!)
Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincerò!
vincerò, vincerò!

English Translation of "Nessun Dorma"

Nobody shall sleep!...
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

Trivia: "After Luciano Pavarotti performed "Nessun Dorma" at the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy (his recording of the aria was also used as the BBC's theme song for its television coverage), his recording reached #2 on the UK Singles Chart - an event that has never happened for a classical music song." Hmmm... nice...

P.S. I still have trouble mapping the words to what he sings, but then I listen and i doesn't matter...

No comments: