August 19, 2007

2 a.m., Sunday morning

What do two hungry girls do at 2am on Sunday morning?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just lazed around yesterday. Eat, sleep, surf, eat some more and sleep again… And as it happens every other time.. 12 am and eyes wide open. Suddenly..

“Grrrrrumble…”
(laughing) “Hey what was that pathetic sound?”
(embarrassed grin) “Umm..”
“Your stomach just grumbled…”
“Ya da, I’m so hungry. Is there anything to eat?”
“Um, I don’t know. I guess there must be something in the cupboard.”

And we started searching, searching, and searching….

“Great! Everything’s empty!”
“Hey, there’s Maggi in the top shelf!”

Quick scramble to reach for it.

“Just wonderful! Now I’m even more hungry and nothing…”

All the mixture packets and soup sachets and Maggi noodle covers were empty! No restaurants would be open. And here we were, two people with our stomachs on fire.

“Hey didn’t we get those channa packets yesterday?”
“Ya… what you want to make channa??”
“Da, we have tomatoes, right? Onions? All the masalas?”
“Ya…but-”
“ok I’ll bring the stuff, you bring the vessels k”
(muttering) “Stubborn female!”

“Da, you did not finish your milk or what? There’s some left over…”
“Er… I don’t want it da..”
“So what should I do? It will get spoilt.”
“Did you not buy custard powder long time back?”
“Ya, but I never made any. Why you want to make that too??”
“Umhmm… it will be like dessert!”
“But do you know how to make it?”
“Yep, I am an expert! (I pat my back) I made it for T and the others too”
“ok.. but if its bad, you are eating it all… I wont touch it”
“What? (mock horror) you are questioning my cooking skills?”
“That’s not all I’m questioning. (giggling)”
(I just stick my tongue out)


So here we were doing this. Somewhere along the way, we decided that we were going to have not just channa masala, but rice too. Thankfully there was some channa kept for sprouting :) We cleaned rice and cooked both the rice and the channa in one go. Then, while N cleaned up the utensils, I started cleaning and slicing the tomatoes. Next were the onions (hey I chopped them without crying!!) and the chillies.
So here is what it looked like after all the slicing and dicing.

Then we waited for the rice and channa to get cooked. Once that was done, I started mashing some of the channa while she fried the onions. We added the garlic ginger paste, tomato puree, and let it simmer a while with the masalas till the raw smell of the turmeric and the puree went off. Then we added the channa and the chillies and voila.. Our channa masala is ready…

So rice and channa masala. That’s what hungry girls make at 2am. It was yummy! Just spicy enough for me :) But I think N was a little red from all the chillies I put in :D

When we finished gorging, we realized we still hadn’t made the custard. So out came the sugar, the spoons to stir, the milk, and the custard powder and 10-15 minutes of stirring later- Heaven! Sorry, I don’t have a picture of it right now. My sweet tooth did not wait any longer.

5 minutes after we finished our binge fest and keeping the plates for washing (who has the energy to clean them up after all that), we were off to dreamland… right after promising ourselves we’d start our diet plans tomorrow. (Fat chance!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yeyeye.... Teach me how to cook too.... I suffered big time during my internship :)

Addicted to the Disturbed State said...

that will definitely require a huge 'guru dakshina'.. :P

Unknown said...

iam a banker now da :P, shd be able to afford any dakshina :D

PS: Iam a banker is definitely not a cool thing to say :|, esp if the other person is also a banker... cos then both ppl know they do crap.. :)

Addicted to the Disturbed State said...

hey dont say that... my dad's one..

and ya will be expecting a HuGe treat then from you :))

Unknown said...

oh..cool... i didn't know ur dad was an investment banker.... & he really told u he likes it?? :O